Experience Golf and Sustainable Gastronomy in Costa Brava
Famed for its extraordinary cuisine, Spain’s ‘rugged coast’ celebrates Sustainable Gastronomy Day with unique culinary experiences for the eco-conscious golfer.
Golfers looking to experience some of the best golf and gastronomy that Spain has to offer, should look no further than the idyllic Costa Brava region on the north-east shores of the country, as it showcases its sustainable gastronomy experiences in celebration of this year’s Sustainable Gastronomy Day.
Celebrated on June 18, 2023 and led by the UN General Assembly, UNESCO and the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), the day is dedicated to sustainable cuisine, which considers the origin of ingredients and food production methods, while promoting agricultural development, food security, and the conservation of biodiversity.
With its commitment to environmental stewardship and sustainable practices, Costa Brava has become a haven for eco-conscious food lovers, offering a wide range of restaurants that champion environmentally friendly practices, use locally sourced zero-mile ingredients, support local farmers, and deliver exceptional gastronomic experiences.
Such culinary prowess seeps through to the mouth-watering fare on offer at many of the region’s golf courses, clubs and resorts, where reputable chefs combine the best products of the territory with top quality wines for golfers wanting to savour rich Catalan gastronomy. Among these are:
– Peralada Resort, the region’s northern-most golf resort, boasts two Paco Perez establishments, the most starred chef of the Empordà region. L’Olivera at Hotel Peralada offers avant-garde cuisine using the best local produce, while the one Michelin star Castell Peralada Restaurant – located inside the resort’s onsite 14th century castle – reinterprets traditional dishes using the finest regional products.
– Camiral Golf & Wellness, just outside Girona, is where David Vives, executive chef who has over a decade’s experience working at the famed, three Michelin-starred El Celler de Can Roca, has taken up residency, overseeing all the restaurants at Spain’s No.1 golf resort. Many of his signature dishes incorporate the honey harvested onsite from the one-million ‘black bees’ and the fresh, organic produce from the estate’s kitchen garden.
– Torremirona Golf Club (below) is home to Hotel Torremirona where you can find El Canigó Restaurant serving cuisine made with top-quality local products, characteristic of the Costa Brava based on traditional Catalan recipes.
Beyond the fairways, establishments that exemplify the region’s focus on sustainability and local fare include:
– Restaurant Terram in Girona, recently opened to great acclaim is a must-visit for any golfer wanting to immerse themselves in innovative dishes that blend the region’s culinary heritage with modern techniques, using carefully sourced high-quality local and international ingredients.
– Can Mascort Eco Hotel in Palafrugell where guests can enjoy the perfect balance between adventure, relaxation, and sustainable dining. Set in a restored heritage building, the hotel offers farm-to-table experiences, with a focus on utilising fresh produce from its organic gardens, as well as an eco-shop selling locally sourced, natural products.
– Cabanyes entre Valls in La Vall de Bianya, offers unique tree cabins stays, where visitors are at one with nature and can delight in zero-mile, farm-fresh cuisine that showcases the region’s agricultural traditions while exploring the natural surroundings.
– Hotel Casa Granados, a luxury boutique hotel located in Tossa de Mar, boasts contemporary cuisine in its Restaurant Can Sophia. A romantic dining experience set in a dramatic glass house, guests can enjoy the unique dishes of created by chef Vicente Batuecas, using fresh, local products.
Costa Brava’s sustainable gastronomy scene is a testament to the region’s commitment to preserving nature and promoting responsible tourism. Golfers and gastronomy enthusiasts alike can now experience the unique blend of golf and sustainable culinary delights that Costa Brava offers.
Additional information on Costa Brava can be found at https://costabrava.org/